Friday, July 17, 2015

changes: some big, some small

Recently, I did the unthinkable: I switched text editors. I've been a longtime user of vim, but I'm  pretty curious and its hard to ignore the power emacs has, even out of the box, so I decided to give emacs a shot. Stock emacs comes with a lot of power. Namely, a built in web browser, IRC client, email client, and a package manager to install countless plugins. Plugins were always kind of patchy with vim, and it's refreshing to use a built-in package manager

However, I am well aware of the RSI risks associated with using emacs, and I'm already well-versed in vim commands, so evil mode was one of the first plugins I installed. I have to say, vim is nice, but you can get everything that vim offers inside emacs, plus so much more.

Also, you'll notice that the URL for my blog has changed. I recently created a personal site, so I thought I might as well make use of the custom domain name. My website contains a selection of some of my personal projects, a photography sample, as well as contact information and links to various social media sites. I haven't decided if I'm going to merge my blog and my website stylistically, but for now, I'm keeping the two separate.

Lastly, I'm facing a more important change in my life right now. I am an independent student, which means I don't receive any financial support from my parents for college and I don't submit their financial information when filling out my FAFSA. I depend on a lot of merit as well as need-based scholarships to be able to go to school. Last summer, I interned at RelateIQ, a Salesforce Company. This was one of the most educational and rewarding experiences of my life, but it had some unintended consequences that I was not initially aware of. This year, my FAFSA took into account the money I was paid over last summer and I went from getting nearly a full-ride, to nearly nothing at all. I would have to pay for my senior year of college completely out of pocket. I'm nowhere near prepared to do that, so I've decided to take some time off to work full time while paying off my current student loans and saving up enough cash to finish my degree at another time.

Fortunately, I am not at all disheartened at the prospect of dropping out. I look at this as an opportunity and a chance to grow. Plus, after going to college, I got to experience first-hand how much of a racket it really is. Because American society has the absurdly unsustainable belief that everyone needs a bachelor's degree to survive, universities have been bursting at the seams, and University of Illinois in particular has been buckling under the burden. I've had a horrible educational experience at UIUC, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I feel no pride in having gone there, and I would not recommend it to anyone in its current state.

For example, in Computer Science and other engineering majors, it's nearly impossible to sign up for required core curricula. All of the core CS classes have absurdly long waitlists, and U of I has only recently hired another academic advisor for CS, bringing the grand total number of CS advisors to a paltry and inadequate two. Apart from UIUC's issues with scaling, the quality of courses has been outright pathetic in my experience. In class, I've had international TA's speaking to Chinese students in Mandarin, exclusively, leaving those of us who can't speak Mandarin wondering what we're missing out on learning. I've even had professors who refuse to give lectures, telling students, "I'm tenured, which means I can do whatever I want." UIUC truly is a pathetic excuse for an educational institution.

I won't say my time at U of I was completely worthless, just that after my own cost-benefit analysis, and given the university's current state, it's not worth it for me to attend anymore. I've made some awesome friends, as well as professional contacts. That's the true value of a college education: the people you meet. Without meeting the right people, there's no way to put your skills to good use.

However, I will say that I learned more outside of class, particularly in internships, then I could have ever learned while sitting in a lecture hall. I intend to finish my degree someday, but for now, I'm going to use this time to grow professionally as well as personally, while I sit back and wait for this whole student loan bubble to blow over. Maybe when I return, society will have matured and realized that it's not the degree that matters; it's the skills behind it.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed: "I've had international TA's speaking to Chinese students in Mandarin", happened to me a few times too. But the reasons you gave are terrible justifications as to not attending UIUC. I mean just say you value education instead of bashing UIUC. If were honest, about the reasons you gave, you would simply switch to a different school. But you didn't, so UIUC isn't the problem. You don't value college education as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously hate the international TAs. I pay to go to college in America so speak English when you are teaching a course and speak it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate on all the international TAs all you want, but how different do you expect other good engineering schools to be? Also, do you realize that the US is the only country in the world where you can expect most people to be fluent in your native language? Literally everybody else tries to learn your language, and instead of appreciating that you don't have to receive an education in French, Latin, or (heaven forbid the commies know anything) Mandarin, you just bitch about how they're not completely comfortable in your native language.

    Think about it. They're not trying to make your life difficult by being bad at English.

    Regarding the number of advisors, how much hand-holding do you want? I thought part of the point of "learning engineering" is figuring out how to figure stuff out for yourself. There are hundreds of people around you that know something about the curriculum, why do you need it to come from an advisor?

    In any case, write a letter to your senator about how fucked up the financial aid system is. The university isn't out to screw you out of your money, they're trying to figure it out within a ass backwards education system too.

    ReplyDelete